Meals on Wheels Update

I spent an hour or so this morning riding with JC Welch and Gordon "Sonny" Cone as they delivered meals for the Frankston area Meals on Wheels program. What a joy! Talk about meeting a real need! For some of these people, that will be the only hot meal they receive today. They took me to areas of town I'd never been and I had the privilege of meeting some of the finest folks around. It was awesome! I even got to meet Mr Troy Cook, a former state champ basketball player for Frankston in 1960-61, now an expert pull-tab collector. You'll see an article about him on the front page of this week's Frankston Citizen. He's collected thousands of pull-tabs (you know - from the top of pop-top cokes!) and placed them in the great big water cooler type bottles. He estimates he has around 650,000. As I stood in his home today and counted the bottles (he counted the tabs in one bottle at around 53,000 tabs), I estimated it was more like 900,000. He's not just cluttering his home, however, because he's doing this for a purpose. He plans to donate his collection for the benefit of the Shriner's Burn Center. Good work, Troy, and thanks for the great example of having vision to see what others miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SBC Meeting #2 - June 14 2023

SBC meeting - June 13 2023

Home