Tony Dungy - more than a coach


It's not often I endorse books, but there are times when it's easy. I just finished reading Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy, coach of the Indianapolis Colts. To say it blew me away would be an understatement. In his exceptional work, he presents himself and his coaching style in a powerful and passionate way, underscoring all of it with his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He draws back the curtain on the integral role of faith in his life and the life of his family allowing us to see a side of Coach Dungy not everyone has observed.
I've been a fan of Coach Dungy since the mid-90's when he was the defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. I saw a program on ESPN about the Vikings preparation for an upcoming game and was struck by how different Dungy's life was as compared to the other coaches. I became a Tampa Bay fan when he was there and a Colt's fan now that he's there. It's not the successes that got my attention as much as the struggles - struggles he shares in the book in detail. Losing his son to suicide; getting fired by Tampa Bay; the "inability" to get over the hump against the Patriots. It's all there, the good, the bad and the ugly. Take time to read what I believe is one of the best books I've seen in a long, long time.

Comments

Julie M said…
if you don't mind can I borrow this book? -- Julie Maxwell

Popular posts from this blog

SBC Meeting #2 - June 14 2023

SBC meeting - June 13 2023

Home