Out of my comfort zone

This past Sunday was a different kind of Sunday than most any I've known.  The early service was pretty much normal.  But the later one. . . .well, that was different.  Let's go back and talk about why. 
Several months ago, we negotiated with Matthew West's management to have him here at FBC Midland on the morning after he appeared at Rock the Desert the night before.  We envisioned it to be a cap to a fantastic weekend and a chance to worship with our friends who were with us from across the area and across the state.  One element about it that came in late was the idea of adding an interview with Matthew on stage.  I volunteered for the job, but not because I considered myself fully qualified for it or because I have a lot of experience in it.  Truthfully, I felt like I needed to do it out of obedience to the Lord's call as pastor here.  I wasn't about to give that role away. . . .even if I wasn't terribly comfortable doing it.  Put me before a crowd - regardless of size - and I can preach.  It's a part of who I am now, 20 years in as a pastor.  Interviews are a whole other thing. 

That's what I thought as I prepared for Sunday morning.  I was excited but as nervous as I have been since I got here!  I knew we would have a full house and I've been a fan of Matthew for a long while.  I didn't want to drop the ball and I didn't want to embarrass my family - both biological and my church family!  I got through the first service - because it was a "normal" service.  As soon as I stepped down, there was a sense of "uh-oh - I'm on now."  That was how I felt until. . . . .

. . . . Until I walked into to meet Matthew.  We had never met until Sunday morning but we hit it off very well.  My concerns about the morning soon slipped away.  I was a taken with his humor, his kindness and his passion for Christ.  I'm not ready to do this every week, but my worries were clearly unfounded given Matthew's help.  He made it a lot of fun and - I'm told - it came off well.  As an added bonus, he brought his dad, Joe.  Joe is a former pastor so he and I hit it off well.  The time we had is reflected in the picture we took before they left.  Matthew and his dad wanted a picture with us.  As a parting gift, Matthew gave Josh his guitar pick - signed of course. 

All told, amazing things happen when we get out of our comfort zone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SBC Meeting #2 - June 14 2023

SBC meeting - June 13 2023

Home