SBC Meeting #2 - June 14 2023

 Beloved friends, yesterday's optimism evaporated in the New Orleans heat today.  I had hoped for a few things today and, sadly for me, most of them broke the wrong way in my view.  The lone bright spot was Dr Bart Barber who did a masterful job handling the tough duties and managing the clock.  In spite of that,  it was a deeply saddening day for me.  Consider with me why.

An amendment - known loosely as the "Mike Law Amendment" - had been given to the SBC Ex Committee months ago declaring the role of pastor to be limited to men.  That's already in the Baptist Faith and Message so I didn't think much of it.  Surely we won't take it as a litmus test for fidelity to the SBC - that's a creed and last I checked we Baptists are non-creedal people.  Or were.  I had hoped cooler heads would prevail and the "Mike Law" amendment would fail.  After all, the Exec Committee put it forward but did NOT recommend it for approval.  This motion declares there shall be no female pastors in the SBC.  How, preytell, does one define pastor?  A senior role like mine?  Or a minister role like some of our amazing ladies on the FBC staff?  Given that there are only two offices in the church - pastor and deacon - and that both of them are reserved for men, I guess that includes them too.  The message was loud and clear.  If you don't like it or if you disagree, you're free to leave.  Or we will help you leave.  

They did it to Rick Warren yesterday - that's how the day started by announcing the results of yesterday's vote about their appeal to remain in the SBC.  By an 89%-11% margin, Saddleback's appeal was denied.  

You might be curious how I voted.  I voted to keep Saddleback in the SBC.  I did so, not because I agree with them or their practice but because I saw this next step coming.  To that end, on Sunday I was given a list complied by the author of the amendment of 176 SBC churches with female pastors.  While there were several who were indeed senior pastor roles, most of them were not.  They were listed as "children's pastor, youth pastor, music pastor" etc.  So while today's amendment doesn't say so explicitly, it will.  If you have a female on your staff in a senior role, your time is up or it soon will be.  

Add to that the harsh and thoroughly unBiblical comments I heard from those around me and from the floor and you have a heart-breaking day.  I remembered today why it had been 25 years since I was last at the SBC meeting.  It's likely to be 25 more before I return.

From where I sit, Southern Baptists are now a creedal people.  That's sad to me but I'm not surprises.  This is where fundamentalism leads.  It must have an enemy and it must draw continually smaller circles to protect "purity."  Eventually, it eats itself.  

I've been a southern Baptist all of my life.  Grew up in an SBC church, went to an SBC University and trained at an SBC seminary.  I've never served a non-Southern Baptist Church in my 35 years of ministry.  Today was the first day I felt like I didn't have a home in the SBC.  

So what about FBCM?  We'll talk about it when we get home.  Today's not the day to make decisions about our future.  But the question must be asked, not just for our church but for all SBC churches with females on their staff - what are we willing to endure to remain an SBC church?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SBC meeting - June 13 2023

Home