My first trip to Africa

When I was a kid, Africa was a dark and mysterious place with lions, gorillas and snakes.  Or so I was told.  What I wasn't told is how incredibly beautiful this place is.  We landed in Addis Ababa around 7 AM and got through customs pretty well.  I was shocked to see how many people were checking flat screen TVs in as luggage.  That's an odd choice, I remember thinking.  Then, when I got here, I could see why.  While there is commerce everywhere, there is little in the way of electronics for availability.  Lots of tuk-tuks (they call them "Baragae"), lots of push carts, lots of donkey / horse carts - and that's just in the city.  Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the ride from Addis to Adama - a by product of not having enough rest on the plane and finally finding a comfortable spot (don't misunderstand - the flight was fine and the seat I had was business class so I'm not complaining - they just don't build things for normal sized people like me.)  While I was awake, however, I saw acacia trees by the dozen, more markets, slums and bad driving than I had ever seen.  Lane markers - when they are present at all - are suggestions at best.  No stop signs.  I saw one red light - and it was off - in a city of 5 million.  You can use your imagination there.  
We had lunch at Wosi's (Getaneh's wife) mother's home today.  A very fine meal prepared in the typical Ethiopian way.  Inirj (a tortilla kind of bread) served as our fork and spoon.  We had goat, cabbage, cauliflower and green beans.  I pressed myself to jump out there and I did (I'm not an adventurous eater - my thought is if I know what's good, why change?).  Supper tonight was pepper steak and rice and it was darn good.  It cost 160 birr (the currency of Ethiopia).  That's about $5.50.  There was far more food than I could eat.  
Tomorrow morning, we'll head out of town for a church service or two.  Getaneh started laughing when discussing where I would preach tomorrow - I hope that's not a bad thing.  
Using the amazing Google product "Duo", I called home tonight.  I caught Julie and Josh just about to have lunch.  It was such a blessing to see them and see our home even so far away.  
Grace and Peace for tonight,
D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SBC Meeting #2 - June 14 2023

SBC meeting - June 13 2023

Home